Sunday, December 1, 2013

Icicle Ornaments

I'm knee deep in Christmas gift making. Just came up with these icicle ornaments for the tree and thought I'd share.





I used some of my own push molds to make the faces. I used STAEDTLER Fimo Puppen and pushed cones of the conditioned clay into the water sprayed molds. 


I made holes through the back of the faces. I also made little tear drop shapes from STAEDTLER Fimo effect # 04 nightglow and made a hole in the top of each. I baked these pieces in a preheated 230 degree oven on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20 minutes. 


After the pieces were baked and cooled. I used some coated craft wire to connect the pieces. They looked a bit like tadpoles. 


I used some fabri - tac glue to secure some batting to the body of each icicle. 


I tilted the heads so they were looking forward and wrapped each one with some iridescent gauzy white fabric, securing the edges of each wrap with more fabri - tac glue. I also added some fabric trims and lace to the face edge of each icicle to dress them up a bit.


I used acrylic paint to paint up the faces. I only used light and dark blue and white. I added some sparkle paint to the lips for a bit of glamour.


I painted some white glue to the parts of the icicle I wanted to glitter, then I dusted a fine iridescent glitter over the wet glue. I used white thread and a hand sewing needle to sew a silver jump ring to the top of each ornament so I would have someplace to put the fishing line to hang the pieces.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Very unique!!This has inspired me to try making snowman cones using similar technique! I just happened upon your blog...I love it!